Your treat and my treat may be different, James is another story all together, he could eat four of these in a sitting!
I will let you in on a secret for any boys reading this.
If you want your partner to cook for you, tell her how good she is at cooking and how delicious her food is, it's weird. James left the house and told me how much he loved these and would really love a batch before he left for a work trip. He said they were the best things I've EVER cooked for him. I felt compelled to share my amazing skills for him and whipped these up tonight!
Now James is either quite clever or these taste freaking amazing. I love James but I don't think he thinks that far ahead, lets go with the fact these are AMAZING!
- 1/2 cup walnuts (crushed up in your hands will do!)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- 40g butter, chilled, chopped
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 apples diced
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- Preheat oven to 180°C/170°C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 22cm round cake pan. Line it with baking powder - It doesn't have to be neat just shove it in! Sprinkle with 1/3 cup walnuts. Drizzle with 1/3 cup honey.
- Heat a fry pan and put the water in, get it boiling and add the apple and about 2 tablespoons of sugar and the mixed spice, let it boil down and soften - the whole aim is for it so be soft and apple pie like!
- Put flour into a bowl. Rub in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Using a butter knife, stir in milk to form a sticky dough, adding extra milk if needed. Turn onto a floured surface. Knead gently until smooth, adding extra flour if needed.
- Roll dough out to a 20cm x 40cm rectangle. Combine sugar and remaining honey in a bowl. Spread over dough (it will be dotted as it a pasty like combo), leaving a 2cm border on all sides. Top with apple and remaining walnuts. Carefully roll up dough from 1 long side. Trim ends. Using a serrated knife, cut into 8 slices. Place slices, cut-side up, in pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden and scrolls sound hollow when tapped. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack over a tray.