Thursday 15 November 2012

Carrot Cake

It's true. Ignorance is bliss. A little while ago Michelle told me about Bisphenol A (BPA). I was ignorant, had no idea what this was, I was trying to avoid added oestrogen's in my foods and Mish suggested canning the canned food, excuse the lame pun. Namely this points to coconut milk, which, I love and is in this recipe. I read about it and BPA probably isn't the best for you, especially for the ladies planning on spawning any time soon; I'm not in that group but should I decide to go forth and procreate I'm erring on the side of caution and will be limiting canned foodstuffs in my house.

You can make your own coconut milk with a chux cloth, coconut flakes, water and blender. I'm good in the kitchen but that just sounds like a lot of work for me. Enter first world problems. I want a good blender / food processor. It is on my wish list. I currently own a stick mix thingo. It's great, don't get me wrong I can do heaps with it. I use it almost every second day but I want a Vitamix or similar, they are $950. Not. Going. To. Happen. Unless I become sponsored. Highly Unlikely. Canned will have to do today.

Anyway, today is a carrot cake, mainly because I had a lot of leftover carrots and I'm loving ginger/spices at the moment.

Ingredients - Makes about 10 slices
  • 180gm or 4 average carrots, large grated
  • 1/4 cup coconut butter
  • 1 cup almond meal
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 5 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk (full fat)
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoons ginger
  • 5 cloves ground
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • pinch of salt
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
  2. Great carrots using your cheese grater.
  3. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl 
  4. Put all wet ingredient (aside from the carrot) in a food processor and mix well
  5. Combine the wet & dry ingredients and the carrot - mix well
  6. Place mixture in a loaf pan and bake for 45min to 1hr depending on oven
  7. Let cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment