Monday 12 November 2012

Chocolate Cupcakes

I did another mountains hike on the weekend. I am really enjoying getting up in the mornings and packing my weekend full of fun things, by the time I get to Monday it feel like a had a longer weekend because I just got so much done!

I love the mountains. I want to by my house here, I like the organic random ingredient stores and could happily sort myself out with a veggie patch near a national park. All in good time I guess!

Anyway post about 2000 stairs it was time for a long black in Leura and perusal of the health food shop, where I found 3 delicious things:
  1. Three Fennel Tea
  2. Spicy Ginger Tea
  3. Coconut Flour (which I discovered I can buy in bulk directly from supplier!)
I got home and read about how to use coconut flour - it is actually quite dry.

"Coconut flour is extraordinarily absorbent and very little coconut flour is needed to successfully produce a recipe. In baked goods, you generally want to substitute 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup coconut flour for 1 cup grain-based flour. You will also need to increase the number of eggs. In general for every one cup of coconut flour you use, you will need to use six beaten eggs in your recipe in addition to approximately one cup liquid such as coconut milk."I found that all here

 - PS if you plan on going bush walking don't just take my random advice go here: http://www.wildwalks.com/

Chocolate Cupcakes made 9 for me:
Ingredients:
  • ¼ cup coconut flour
  • ¼ cup cacao/cocoa powder (I ran out of cocoa and to make up the difference used 2 tbsp or carob, same same - don't stress on measurements)
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 4 large eggs
  • ¼ cup coconut oil
  • ⅓ cup honey
Method:
  1. Put all dry ingredients in a food processor and whiz a few times
  2. Pulse in wet ingredients
  3. Line muffin pans with baking paper and spoon the mixture into each
  4. Bake at 180° for 25-30mins ( I have a feeling I have a dodgy oven and everything takes longer for me! - keep an eye on yours it make only take 15mins!)
  5. Cool and serve
  6. For something extra indulgent I opened a can of coconut milk and put in in the freezer for half an hour - it goes thick-ish like cream, poured a bit on my cupcake and sprinkled some blueberries on - pretty delicious Sunday night really!


No comments:

Post a Comment