Tuesday 6 November 2012

Kanga Jalfrezi

I found a bulk food place near work. They had Kangaroo for like $11 a kilo. That is awesome. They also had a whole heap of spices. I love spices, I almost have a whole 2 shelves in my kitchen dedicated to spices. I have a penchant for cumin and ginger; although on this particular day I purchased fenugreek. What is fenugreek you ask? Don't worry I asked that too, I had always substituted for fennel in recipes, that is wrong - they are completely different things!

Fennel - liquorice type flavour
Fenugreek - quintessential curry smell

Kangaroo can have a strong flavour so go nuts with strong herbs and spices. I decided since I had the fenugreek it was time to work out what to do with it!

 Ingredients
  1. 1 diced brown onion
  2. 1.5 cup beef stock
  3. 500gm Kangaroo diced

Jalfrezi paste
  1. 2 cloves of garlic
  2. 2 teaspoons minced ginger
  3. 1 teaspoon turmeric
  4. ½teaspoon sea salt
  5. 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  6. 2 tablespoons tomato puree
  7. 2 teaspoons hot chili
  8. 2 teaspoons coriander seed ground

Spices for toasting
  1. 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
  2. 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
  3. 2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds
  4. 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
Method
  1. Put a frying pan on a medium to high heat and add the spices for toasting to the dry pan
  2. Lightly toast them for a few minutes until golden brown and smelling delicious and curry-like, then remove the pan from the heat
  3. Add the toasted spices to a pestle and mortar and grind until fine, or put them into a food processor and whiz to a powder
  4. Either way, when you’ve ground them whiz the toasted spices in a food processor with the rest of the ingredients until you have a smooth paste
  5. Rub this all over the kangaroo and then put everything in the slow cooker!
  6. Cook on low for 6-8hours!
  7. Serve with green beans or veges; I add 1/2 cup a water to fry water with green beans, once they are half cooked add the kanga to reheat it and spread the curry over everything! Easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment