Saturday 10 November 2012

Saucy Beef & Pumpkin Curry

This makes a lot of curry and it is cheap.

I had a chat with my PT last week about how I was outraged I'd spent just over $100 on food. Then I thought about it. Say on average I spend $100-$110 a week on food (just for me) including a few luxury extra things that last more than a week like nuts, psyllium, dates and what not.

I eat 6 meals a day  - that is 42 meals a week.

So really it's  $14.20 - $15.70 a day OR $2.40 - $2.60 a meal.

That's pretty good, it mostly vege, meat, eggs, fruit, nuts and occasionally coconut milk, so all quality food.

I cook 95% of everything I eat from scratch, treats, dinners, snacks - all cooked at home; the 5% would be meals out and wine. I'm *touch wood* rarely sick and I can't remember the last time I even had a panadol! So really if I want to look at the money I save on health issues too I'm probably faring pretty good!

Back to my curry though, the beef was blade steak and on special for $10 a kilo, pumpkin was also on special for $2.50 a kilo. The cheaper cuts of meat are great for curries and slow cooker meals, just trim the fat and they are perfectly fine for you. If I want eye fillet for a steak on the BBQ once during the week that's fine but at $40 a kilo I wouldn't bother wasting it in a curry!

Learning to cook with different cuts of meat has been invaluable to me! Spices are awesome and keep everything interesting. If you think that eating well is still really expensive buy a giant slow cooker (I got mine for $36 at 2nds World or something?) and try a few of my bulk meals - the Lamb is a great one to start with!

Have one week of packing EVERYTHING from home and see how much you spend compared to a normal week of buying lunches/coffees & muffins or what not!

Ingredients:
  1. 1.5kg blade steak or chuck steak - cubed and trimmed
  2. 4 small brown onions cut into segments
  3. 5 garlic cloves - grated
  4. 3/4 of a whole pumpkin, diced into small cubes 1cm x 1cm
  5. 1 cup beef stock + 1 cup water
  6. 1/2 can full fat coconut milk
  7. 3 tbsp Keens Curry powder
  8. 1 tbsp ground cumin
  9. 2 tbsp chili
  10. 1 tbsp ground ginger
  11. 1/2 tbsp paprika
  12. 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
Method:
  • Put everything in the slow cooker and stir to combine everything and distribute the spices
  • Turn on slow cooker to low for 8-10hrs
  • Stir to mush up the pumpkin and turn it into a 'sauce' consistency
  • Serve or portion up and freeze once cooled!
Ps I realise it looks like mush in a bowl - but it does tastes great !

1 comment:

  1. Have made this a coup,e of times now and love it! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete