Tuesday 13 November 2012

Steak with Roast Pumpkin, Baby Spinach & Pinenut Salad

Today's spotlight is on steak. Grass fed steak. James and I did an experiment and BBQ'd both a grass fed steak and grain fed steak to compare them (yep I know what you are thinking - these guys are just wild!)

Long story short James' steak was paler than mine and a bit fatty/marbled? Where as mine (grass-fed) was a little tougher, leaner but tasted more 'beefy'. I'm not a nutritionist or chef but that is my summary - to read more on why I'm trying to switch to grass-fed start here. I can't yet afford organic all the time but Aldi stocks Highland Park Grass fed Beef which is awesome and has won awards for taste so I'm not just rabbiting on!

With the steak done James gave me 5 minutes to let it rest and produce something yum to accompany all that beefy goodness.

Quick, easy and tasty - all good qualities in a dinner.

Ingredients:

I'm assuming you can cook steak  - cook that however you please!
  • 1/3 large bag Baby Spinach
  • 6 cherry tomatoes cut in half
  • 1 1/2 Lebanese cucumber cut in half length ways and sliced into chunks
  • 2 tbsp Pine nuts
  • 8 dates sliced  - I cut mine with scissors
  • About 200gm roast pumpkin
  • Drizzle caramelised balsamic vinegar and olive oil
Method:
  1. Pre Roast the pumpkin- let it cool (this takes about an hour or so in my dodgy oven on 180 degrees Celsius - you can used roast pumpkin in heaps of things I roasted a quarter and used the rest to make pumpkin spiced cupcakes - these will come later in the week!)
  2. Combine everything in a bowl
  3. Drizzle with the vinegar and oil and toss about
  4. Serve - enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment