Thursday 14 February 2013

Beef Tikka Masala with Peaches

Yeh that's right Beef Tikka Masala! Why not chicken you say? Simple. I don't eat chicken. I'm not advocating a chicken boycott guys. Stay calm, nothing is wrong with chicken.

Also I don't think I've mentioned it before but I only like my fruit like ROCK hard. These peaches were (in my books) past their crunch date so they went into the recipe too.

I was going to say it would be a great Valentines day meal but given I cooked it in the slow cooker - maybe not. I'm also not sure curry says love and romance anyhow.

P.S I made the curry paste from scratch. Yes... take THAT My Kitchen Rules!

Ingredients:

  • 1.5kg organic grass fed blade roast  (cubed)
  • 4 small purple onions - cut into little segments
  • 1/2 butter-nut pumpkin - cubed
  • 1 cup almond milk (coconut milk would be better but I was out!)
  • 5 grape tomatoes - quartered
  • 3 peaches - peeled and diced

Tikka Masala paste
  • 2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 heaped teaspoon minced ginger
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 2 teaspoons garam masala
  • ½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons macadamia oil
  • 2 teaspoons hot chilli flakes
  • 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
  • 2 tablespoons ground almonds
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 3 teaspoons coriander seeds
Method

  1. Put a frying pan on a medium to high heat and add the spices for toasting to the dry pan. Lightly toast them for a few minutes until golden brown and smelling delicious, then remove the pan from the heat.
  2. Add the toasted spices to a pestle and mortar and grind until fine, add any leftover paste ingredients and just grind till its all paste like and combined. If you could be bothered by all mean whip out your food processor. But I couldn't be.
  3. Meanwhile cut an X onto the bottom of the peaches, put hem in a bowl of boiling water (in a few mins take them out and the skin will slide straight off - dice these up
  4. Add all ingredients to the slow cooker + mix about
  5. Add curry paste and mix about
  6. I cooked this on low for 8 hours and it turned out great - the pumpkin is meant to disintegrate and make the sauce - just stir to combine
  7. If you find it is too watery (a chance if you use almond milk instead of coconut milk) just let it rest and the water will rise to the top - just spoon excess off.
  8. I served this over veges - but you can do what you like with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment