Wednesday 3 April 2013

Pumpkin, Pork & Apples

This is so easy, after taking my shredded Lamb, Ginger & Prunes out of the slow cooker on Tuesday morning I washed it quickly and also burnt my finger and filled it back up so dinner was ready when I got home.

After cutting another finger on Monday - having 5 tears on my hands from CrossFit and now burning my right pointing finger my hands are so terrible. As I've said before I'm lucky I have a boyfriend as I have the hands of a lumberjack !

James had complained last night that dinners were getting too late. Fair enough, anything past 8 on a weeknight is probably too late, but in my defence some days training finished at 7.30 so by the time I got home I was cooking like a mad woman to get dinner done by 8.30.

I was so smart yesterday - preparation - and *almost* complete meal in a pot - with minimal washing up - another win. I put this is the slow cooker in layers. In my head I said layers just like Shrek did.

Ingredients:

First Layer:
  • 1/4 of a Kent Pumpkin - chopped into chunky cubes
  • 1 cup vegetable stock
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
  • dash of celtic sea salt
For your pork
  • 1 kilo lean pork
  • 2 apples, peeled & sliced
  • 2 red onions, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons macadamia oil
  • 2 tablespoons raw honey
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon mustard powder
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Method:

  1. Place the pumpkin as a first layer in the slow cooker, add all other first layer ingredients
  2. Place the pork on top of the pumpkin
  3. Combine the oil, honey, cinnamon and mustard powder - stir into a paste and over the pork
  4. Top with onions and apple
  5. Let cook in slow cooker on low for however long you are at work - in my case about 10hrs. 
  6. When it's cooked take out the pork from on top and place on a plate, stir up the pumpkin underneath
  7. Serve in 2 layers with pumpkin on the bottom and shredded pork on top

No comments:

Post a Comment