Thursday 2 May 2013

Spiced Pumpkin Soup

Ah I promised this ages ago - sorry. Life has been busy.

I want to take a moment to talk about my 'thick' thighs. I know right?... weird, considering I'd actually never thought about my thighs as thick or actually thought about them at all really, except for when I want to lift something heavy up or what not. I pretty much have no issues with my legs, I like them!

Twice this week I've had random comments that I think were meant to be compliments that just came off wrong. One was about how I was carrying all my extra weight well (cue comment about new thicker thighs) and the other was asking as to whether James was pumped for the slim me again.

Now it's true I have gained weight, maybe a little more than I wanted but I'm really not obese but it is all part of the competing thing. I am not going to stay below 50kg for more than a day, it's just not healthy (for me). So I ate healthily and like a normal person from October - April and yep I think I gained (not including water weight) about 7-8 kilos since comp day. And I still look fine, James hasn't left me and I am stronger & faster than ever before! (I'm also I think the heaviest I've ever been - which is why scales really don't mean that much!)

You may think why is she telling me this? It's mainly 2 reasons:

1. People will say shitty things. True, they don't always realise what they are doing, but even so you just have to laugh & move on.

2. I went to a workshop last year with Rinnah Schmid & Asher Prior and Asher's piece of advice was 'you just have to own your off season weight'. So I've tried that. If I posted comparison picture of comp prep me to ' now'  me it's not because I don't like 'now' me, I just think the change is cool & I enjoy competing! James honestly doesn't have a favourite - there's plus' and cons, I have abs and no boobs or great boobs and no abs so you win some you lose some haha

Either way, if someone has said something crappy to you this week it says way more about them than you. :-)

Enjoy this soup - it is so easy. I still have some in the freezer!

Ingredients:

  • 1 whole kent pumpkin (I didn't weight it - sorry) cut into chunks, seeds & skin removed
  • 1 litre vegetable stock
  • 4 onions, peeled & cut in half
  • 3 tsp minced garlic
  • 2 tsp ground coriander
  • 3 heaped tsp ground cumin (I love cumin - you can go easier on this if you like)
  • pinch nutmeg
  • 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • optional - chilli - if you would like an extra 'kick' 
Method:
  1. Throw everything in that slow cooker of yours!
  2. Turn on low and leave it for the day
  3. Come home and take out your stick mixer - Plug it in and whiz the pumpkin onion and stock together
  4. This should leave you with an awesome soup!
  5. I served it with a sprig of basil just because it looked nice 
Note: As the weather is getting cooler you can change this recipe however you like it will work with ANY leftover veges, carrots, sweet potato, peas - you can throw whatever you want in there. If you want to make it more "hearty" you can add chickpeas for the last half hour to warm them through or even lentils!


No comments:

Post a Comment