It was no so brittle - I always find sugar work is really temperamental - I can't say I would even attempt it! But neither of us like food wastage and the peanuts were covered in a sugary buttery coating which realistically is the basis for most baked goods.
So here we have another recipe not really about health but about not wasting food :-) I wouldn't normally recommend as much sugar as is in this recipe but it was already half made so just enjoy a pretty decent workout after these!
- 4 cups peanuts
- 3 cups caster sugar
- 150gm butter
(The above was ready made into a pseudo toffee)
- 2 1/2 cups quick oats
- 2 eggs
- desiccated coconut to sprinkle
- Just melt together the sugar, butter and peanuts add about 1 cups of water in a pot on the stove, do this slowly enough so as though it doesn't burn
- With a stick whiz, blend the mixture in the pan so it is broken up a little
- Let the mixture cool for 5-10mins and add to the oats in a large mixing bowl
- Combine well then add 2 beaten eggs and pour into a lined slice tin
- Sprinkle with coconut
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 45mins.