Tuesday 19 February 2013

Banana Bread & Muffins

Morning All!

I've decided to drop the word 'paleo' from my recipes because I don't want to be influencing any more diets!

I like to cook, I like to eat and I don't count calories. The way I eat will not necessarily make you lose weight, my blog is not about weight loss or being lean. It's about loving clean, home-made food and enjoying life!

I've gained since comp day last year; 7 kilos. I never really like to talk about my weight because I don't like people comparing what they weigh with me because it just doesn't prove anything (+ I am a midget), but I just want you all to know no-one stays like the photos all year round, in order to get stronger and gain muscle we have to put back on some weight!

So for anyone who looked at my comp photos and thought I looked great, I really appreciate that but I don't look like that all year! I am using this time where I am NOT dieting to get stronger and fitter.

In addition to one comp this year I want to do the following in 2013:
  1. CrossFit Opens - I wasn't going to tell anyone but I'd rather people know there is more to my life than training to be lean, this to me is for fun and to push myself with a mini challenge! I'm not going to win, there are amazingly fit women entering this - it's just to stretch myself!
  2. Tough Mudder - Tough Mudder events are hardcore 20 km-long obstacle courses designed by British Special Forces to test your all around strength, stamina, mental grit, and camaraderie. I'm doing this with a friend from work I can't wait it's going to be FUN!
  3. Power-lifting Comp - Key words here is POWER. For my birthday I want to do the following weights:
    1. 120kg Deadlift
    2. 100kg Squat (going to be super tough)
    3. 70kg Bench Press
  4. A Figure Comp in September - I enjoy competing, I LOVE to win (I didn't even place last year but it made me come back hungrier this year to improve myself). I compete because I really enjoy it, I like the nerves and the flexing and the muscle! 
To me, I changed my diet because I felt like my digestion worked better and it made food choices easier for me. Don't ever make decisions for your own diet based off what someone else is doing. My history with food, my body and my training may be totally different to you. If you want to make big changes - speak to professionals, people who have experience and can offered you informed opinions.

I've seen a big push in 'Strong is the new Skinny' which is great I encourage women to become stronger, but STRONG does not necessarily equal ripped with a six pack which I think is the missing part of that message! If the goal post for women has just shifted from a runway model to a fitness/figure competitor we haven't really made any in-roads into body acceptance and health.

So ladies; eat because you like nice food, train because you enjoy it and love what you are doing!

For lovers of delicious things please enjoy this Banana Bread recipe!

Banana Bread (or muffins)
  • 3 bananas 
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • ¼ cup coconut oil
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • 1/3 cup coconut flour
  • ½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • Almonds to decorate
  • Desiccated coconut to sprinkle on top
Method:
  1. Place bananas, eggs, vanilla, honey and coconut oil in a food processor / Kitchen whiz 
  2. Whiz ingredients together
  3. Pulse in almond flour, coconut flour, salt and baking soda
  4. Pour batter into a baking paper lined loaf pan or spoon into 12 muffin case lined with baking paper
  5. Sprinkle with coconut and almonds - like picture below
  6. Bake at 190° for 55-65 minutes for loaf or 30 - 40 minutes for muffins
  7. Remove from oven and allow to cool
  8. EAT up!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment