Saturday 17 November 2012

Mocha Espresso Brownies

Saturday. Hoorah. Except today I get to go to the dentist AND get an ultrasound AND I have a family 21st up the coast. Woo.

To be fair though I feel fit as a fiddle. The dentist is just check up or something & the ultrasound is because I am just too damn buff. Lol seriously though, I am assuming that is the cause.

Buffness aside I want to spend 5 mins telling you about how my diet has made a HUGE difference to how I feel, specifically how I feel as opposed to look because you can look amazing but feel like crap. (read that article Liz @ Cave Girl Eats talks about dropping the leanness obsession & actually focusing on health)

Anywho, I eat what I like, I eat till I'm full and my body takes care of the rest. It's just that simple. I also train hard, don't forget exercise is important too!

Why did I starting eating this way?

During my comp prep my coach cut out carbs (I almost cried) but to my amazement after an awkward transition period I actually felt better? Weird. Then after comp I made a concerted effort to limit dairy, grains and refined sugar and throw caution to the wind with my fat intake. Now I read a LOT about eating habits and blood types and why I would even want to change my eating habits, so I suggest you read up too.

But long story short I probably eat less calories (I don't actually count them so that is an estimate) these days because I feel fuller from fats, and whole foods. My meat portions are about 100gm per meal (I eat 6 meals a day & have meat with about 3 of them) some people like intermittent fasting, others don't like structure. Whatevs. Find what works for you.

If you think I sound crazy or it sounds like a fad, don't worry I did too. I was a mega naysayer I think I even wrote a status on fb about how stupid Paleo was once. Do some googling about the food pyramid. The food pyramid, also known as dietary guidelines for Americans & Australians was created in the late 70's by the U.S. Government. The food pyramid was designed to reduce obesity in men, women and children. The food pyramid was also designed to reduce the rates of disease. Over the last 30 years the food pyramid has not only failed to reduced obesity and disease, but has made them more prevalent because it is based upon flawed research.

Anyway for all the ladies who think hoorah you can eat what you like, but does all that fat migrate to your butt? Aside from feeling awesome I'm still pretty lean after comp. Body aside though, how awesome would it be to ditch diets, macros and calorie counting all together and still wear your jeans? Yep amazeballs.

Life is great, and I get to eat brownies.

Ingredients: Makes 8

  • 250 gm Sweet Potato
  • 1 1/2 tbsp Carob
  • 6 tsp coffee dissolved in 1/4 cup water
  • 1/3 cup coconut four
  • 1/4 cup coconut butter (I made this with 2 cups desiccated coconut and 1 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Method:

  1. Roast the sweet potato. You can do this on you one, prick it with a fork a few times and pop it in the oven for about an hour
  2. Let it cool & peel the Sweet Potato and whiz it in the food processor
  3. Add all other ingredients to the food processor and whizz again till combined
  4. Pour batter into a lined baking dish - I think mine is 8 x 8? But I don't really know!
  5. Cook at about 180 degrees Celsius for about 25-30 min or until springy.

No comments:

Post a Comment