Wednesday 28 November 2012

BBQ Luderick and Flambéed Greens

One of the most exciting parts of my day is meal times. I love cooking and food & I will try pretty much anything once! My PT's friend caught blackfish a.k.a. luderick (at first I thought it was just any old black fish but it turns out this fish has 2 names) he had an ample fish supply so I was more than happy to have a go at cooking it!

James' family are all super keen fishermen and they said Luderick is different because it eats weed it's whole life, like a little hippy vegetarian fish. Anyway point is I'm always grateful for foodstuffs as gifts, particularly of the meat variety. Mum and Dad gave me a heap of leftover steak on Sunday night - hello Thai Beef salad.

Free food aside I also have exciting meat/butchery news. East Blaxland Butchery do grass-fed beef and all sorts of game and delicious things. A-MAY-ZING!

Also 'flambé', I don't know if what I truly did on the BBQ was flambé-ing but I sloshed some wine on the plate and created a fireball, so flambé it is.

Ingredients: Serves 1 big portion and 2 little portions

Fish

  • 2 blackfish / luderick / bream whichever (white fish)
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 2 small brown onions, diced
  • teaspoon dill
  • 1 lemon sliced
  • white vinegar
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 2 red bullet chillis finely sliced
Vegetables
  • 1 head of broccoli cut into little florets
  • 1 zucchini julienne-d
  • handful of green beans top & tailed and cut in half
  • 2 red bullet chills finely sliced
  • teaspoon garlic
  • teaspoon ginger
  • 1/2 bottle leftover white wine

Method

  1. Preheat your BBQ, get your partner to clean it if it was left after your previous fish cooking attempts.
  2. Roll out two big bits of foil - bigger than the fish. Now if you have Luderick be sure to remove all the black stomach lining in the fish. I just used paper towel to do this, it was super easy, it just sort of wipes away. PS I'm assuming your fish is cleaned already. I'm not talking you through that - please google!
  3. Combine the tomato, onion, chillis and dill in a bowl, and give it two big sloshes of white vinegar. mix it around, season with salt and pepper and put half the mix inside each of the fish, add two slices of lemon inside the fish and 2 on top. 
  4. Wrap the fish up like a little dinner present to yourself and put them side by side on the grill part of the BBQ, close the lid, & set a timer for 30mins.
  5. If you haven't done so already, chop up all your other veges, and walk out to the BBQ with your veges all mixed in a bowl, your ginger and garlic ready and your wine handy. 
  6. With about 10 mins to go for the fish lift up the lid and just slosh a bit of wine on the BBQ plate, add veges and garlic & ginger and mix about, randomly slosh wine about whenever you want to see a fireball. 
  7. You will not get drunk. The fire burns all the alcohol. I just wanted to do something useful with leftover wine. I even splashed it on the grill side for a mega fireball - fun times.
  8. Keep stirring the veges amongst the splashing. At the 30 min mark, its time to pack up, put the veges in a bowl and fish in foil on a tray.
  9. Open your fish packet and do the best job you can of removing the meaty bits and picking out the bones, present as best you can on a plate with the tomato onion mix & veges on the side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment